Saturday, December 10, 2011

Studio Visit - Melanie Buffington

Melanie is in the Art Ed program. I went to visit her becuase some of the participation models I was interested in, and which resonated with me, were much closer to the art ed model, than the gallery wall/pedastal model. Melanie's expertise was in the art ed program here, and was able to point me in the direction of some community education agencies.

Art 180
local group, volunteers non-profit
teach after school art K-12
art as activisim - at needy schools

FeastRVA (modeled after Brooklyn)

She also told me about the export group Mayan Arts Program that takes summer school art ed students to Peru to teach art ed in the context of the Mayans' lived realities.

Melanie also put me in touch with Maggie at Quirk who runs their community outreach program. Maggie and I haven't had the chance to meet up yet, but have been emailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment